Our office was originally built in the early 1900s, making it one of the oldest surviving buildings in Bloomington. It has actually been around almost as long as the Indiana University men’s basketball team, which played its first season in 1900! The Lettelleir family owned the building until 1938, and brothers Joseph and Antone opened Lettelleir Bros. Bakery there in 1915. Bloomington was very different then; there were less than 10,000 permanent residents and Indiana University’s total enrollment was only 2,400 students. You could even stay at the old Hotel Kirkwood, which was across the street from where the Buskirk Chumley Theater is now, for only $1.50 a night.
The Letteillers eventually moved their bakery, and Roger Curry owned the building from 1938 until 1984. He owned and operated both an insurance firm and a construction company there. Robert Millican, owner of Millican Realty, moved his company into the building in 1988. He stayed until Sterling Real Estate took over in 2009. We renovated the interior of the building in 2015 to meet the needs of our office, but much of the exterior remains from the original building.